As I am writing this blog post I am munching on a handful of nutritious walnuts, restoring all the information I absorbed at the conference I attended on the health benefits of eating Walnuts handbook launch at The Taj Hotel by California Walnuts. I have always known walnuts were great nuts but what makes them standout or healthy was something I needed a little research on. This conference offered me great insights that I would like to share with you all in a simple manner and would urge you to grab this nutritious snack for your daily intake as soon as possible. Check the reasons below –
1. Incorporating walnuts into meals and snacks is a simple, tasty, and convenient way to help ensure adequate protein intake especially for vegetarians. One ounce of walnuts provides four grams of protein and two grams of fiber.
2. Walnuts are great source for antioxidants and research has suggested that antioxidants may help to protect against chronic diseases of ageing (including cardiovascular, neurological and carcinogenic ailments) due to their ability to control free radicals known to negatively influence healthy ageing.
4. Walnuts contain an essential fatty acid in them called alpha linolenic acid. This alpha linolenic acid and its compounds help in keeping the bones stronger and healthier.
5. Walnuts contain melatonin and this compound is said to be associated with better sleep patterns. It also assist in relieving stress and easing out depression.
6. Walnuts are rich in fiber and they are a great way to keep your digestive system functioning right. Found solely in plant foods, fiber helps make you feel full, promotes weight management, and can assist in lowering cholesterol and regulating blood glucose levels.
7. Walnuts are the same shape as the human brain. The human brain is made up of about 60% of what is called “structured fat” and needs high-quality fats like omega-3s to function properly by keeping the brain fluid and flexible.
8. Researchers at UCLA found eating walnuts may improve performance on cognitive function tests, including those for memory concentration and information processing speed.
9. Walnuts promotes heart health. There are a lot of studies and research that proves that eating walnuts on a daily basis reduce cardiovascular risk.
10. Walnuts are good for diabetic people and can play a major role in managing pre-diabetes or metabolic syndrome.
After purchasing walnuts, store them in your refrigerator or freezer depending upon the quantity of consumption. If you buy walnuts in sealed packaging, you can store them in their original packet. Take out a smaller portion to consume in an air-tight container to maintain freshness. You don’t want to keep them open in air or buy from roadside vendors because those have been oxidized and have lost all heir nutritional value and oil.
Hope you enjoyed this post and cant wait to fetch a bag of walnuts for yourself. They are healthy, tasty and can aid in overall proper functioning of your body. Replace them with your chocolate cookies and crisps and relish in their nourishment and healthy love.
Information – California Walnuts Handbook
Images – Ruchika Batra